The Genadendal hiking trail makes a big loop through the
Genadendal (‘valley of grace’) lies 37 km north of Caledon in the southern shadow of the Riviersonderend Mountains. Founded in 1738 by Moravian missionaries, it is the oldest mission station in Africa.
The nucleus of this oak-filled village is made up of the church with its church bell (a national monument), the parsonage, school building, water mill and several thatched and limewashed cottages. All are structures that have survived from the missions earliest days and are of great historical and cultural significance.
The Genadendal Museum complex documents the activities of the mission station. It comprises the Old Print Shop, one of the oldest printing presses in South Africa; the Old Mill where bread is made from stone-ground flour and baked in open air ovens; and the Khoi kraal nursery. The museum’s collection has been declared a National Cultural Treasure.
The art of Khoi pot making has been revived and are available, with other locally made produce, at the museum.
The Genadendal Hiking Trail begins and ends at the Moravian Mission Church. This 25,3 km circular route winds through the Riviersonderend Mountains and offers spectacular views of the surrounding area.