Villiersdorp, ‘Pearl of the Overberg’, was established in 1843 on a portion of the Radyn farm. Nestled in a breathtaking valley, rich with fertile soil, it is surrounded by wine and fruit farms.
Here are a few things you may not know about it…
- The building of the Theewaterskloof Dam caused a change in the micro-climate that made the already lush valley even more conducive to growing world class fruit.
- It was originally, albeit briefly, called Akkedisdorp.
- It is the only place in the world with a Moskonfyt factory.
- There is a tale of romance complete with illicit love, a white horse and an elopement behind the family name of Villersdorp’s most famous resident, Sir David Pieter de Villiers Graaff.
- Although the village lies inland…it is home to the last, and fully restored, South African 100 ton, hand fired, coal, steam tug boat, the Alwyn Vincent.
- It is home to one of the biggest live music festivals in the Cape – Synergy Live.
- Villiersdorp is the only place in South African that processes and packs Persimmons.