Meet Sue Preece of Sanity Farm Kitchen. The first meeting I ever had with Sue was in the back seat of a car on a dirt road somewhere near Wolvengat. I had a flat tyre (and a flat spare). Sue arrived, after organising a local mechanic to come and help us, laden with incredible eats from her kitchen, fresh coffee and her wonderful warm heart.
- What do you do for a living?
I make sausages, bacon, scotch eggs and pork pies for country markets and for local restaurants and boutique hotels and guesthouses.
- What do you love about what you do?
I love putting together flavour combinations that provide layers of tastes. Then the customer interaction at markets really energises me.
- Where do you live and how long have you lived there?
I have lived on Sanity Farm for the past 3 years but we have owned the farm for the last 24 years.
- Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Cape Town.
- What did you want to be when you were small?
- What is your favourite thing about living in the Overberg?
The breathless, still early mornings and evenings.
- What is your favourite holiday?
Roadtripping through Namibia.
- What motivates you?
The forgotten skills of cooking, hence my field of Olde style sausages, scotch eggs and pork pies.
- What is your proudest accomplishment?
My son, Dylan.
- What do you do for fun?
These days, there is very little time for fun….. When I was younger, it was windsurfing. Now, my favourite thing to do on the farm is sit around our huge bonfire on a clear night.
- If you could choose to do anything in the Overberg for a day, what would it be?
Driving down every obscure gravel road, exploring….
- What is your favourite food?
North Indian Curry.
- What is your favourite song/movie/book of the moment?
Layla by Derek and the Dominoes.
- List two pet peeves.
Bad spelling and poor grammar.
- What’s your favourite animal?
My 3 dogs, Lula, Google and Chicken.
- Vanilla or chocolate?
- What’s your signature meal?
My ever faithful spinach and bacon salad.
- What three items would you take with you on a road trip?
Espresso beans, grinder and Bialetti espresso pot.
- Where’s your secret spot in the Overberg?
What we have named Ricardo Beach between Buffeljagsbaai and Die Dam.
- If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
Don’t mess with my family and friends!
Sue will be at the Elim Wine Festival this coming weekend. If you haven’t tasted her fine fare – DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR!